Match Report: AFC Wimbledon 1-2 Tooting & Mitcham United

Tooting & Mitcham United were crown Champions of London for the eighth time, taking them to within one of Walthamstow Avenue, as they overcome a talent AFC Wimbledon side on Bank Holiday Monday.

An open first half produced nothing as the sides went into the break level before two-quick Tooting goals in the second period were enough as they held on to win the London Senior Cup.

Both sides had made a bright start to the game, but it was the home side who had the first opportunity as a corner was swung in, but headed wide before Tooting fired wide down the other end. A long throw was delivered into the Wimbledon box, but Daniel Williams acrobatic effort was fired over.

The young Don’s looked to get on the front foot, but struggled to break through the Tooting defence, before Morgan Williams looked to deliver a low cross to Dylan Adjei-Hersey, but it was blocked by the away side. The same two tried to link-up once again as Williams looked to cross to Adjei-Hersey, but the ball was just behind the latter.

Down the other end, Tooting looked to opening the scoring. Dontai Stewart produced a fine save from Harry Griffiths, before the resulting corner was cleared off the line. Billy Brown had a snap shot at goal, but he dragged his effort wide of the post. The game continued to be an open affair as both sides continued to attack. First, there was a great chance for the Dons as Aron Sasu cut inside, but his shot was well saved by Gary Ross, before Ben Mason could only head wide from a corner. Minutes later, Jake Rose fed the ball to Stewart, but the winger dragged his shot inches wide of the far post.

The final chance of the half saw the Terrors have a free-kick. The set-piece was floated into the box, but the bounce took it away from everyone and wide of the goal.

Tooting came out of the blocks the quickest in the second half, but they weren’t able to break down the young Don’s defence. The away side continued to come forward in the first 10-minutes of the half, as Wimbledon struggled to get out of their own half. Williams could only poke a shot wide of the goal, before Rose had the ball in the back of the net as he lobbed the keeper, but it was ruled out for offside, after he had been played through.

Wimbledon finally had their own chance in the 58th-minute as the ball was scrambled away before the home side could get a boot on it and poke it beyond the keeper. The Don’s did well to get down the left through Adjei-Hersey, but his cross was fired over everyone.

The away side wondered how they weren’t ahead in the game in the 70th-minute though as they had a golden opportunity to take the lead. Rose was played through and rounded the keeper, but his shot hit the post and Wimbledon cleared their lines. Tooting didn’t have to wait long for the opening goal as a minute later, they had taken the lead. Williams squared the ball to Rose after taking it beyond the defence, with the latter firing beyond the keeper.

Just 3-minutes later, and Tooting had their second of the afternoon. Stewart delivered a delightful ball from a corner, aimed towards the back-post, and Mark Waters was there to head home from close range. Wimbledon came forward themselves, knowing they need to score in order to keep their Senior Cup dream alive, but Adjei-Hersey could only fire a free-kick over the bar.

It was game-on in the 84th-minute as Wimbledon pulled a goal back. Paris Lock saw his shot well saved by Ross, before Morgan Williams was there to follow-up, poking the rebound home. The home side looked to try and score a second, but Tooting did well to keep hold of the ball and they nearly had a third in the 93rd-minute as Kensa Clarke ran through on goal, but Griffiths held on well.

Wimbledon had one last chance to salvage something from the game, and send it to extra-time in the 95th-minute as a corner was swung in, but it failed to challenge the non-league side as they headed clear.