Match Report: AS Monaco II 3-1 Feyenoord Jong (Premier League International Cup)

Goals from Nordine Ibouro, Nabil Alioui and Romain Faivre helped Monaco to a 3-1 win over Dutch side Feyenoord as the youth sides met in the Premier League International Cup, played at Victoria Road – the home of Dagenham & Redbridge.

It was Monaco who started off the strongest and had a couple of shots in the opening minutes by neither Nordine Ibouro or Romain Faivre could put their chances away. Feyenoord barely touched the ball in the opening minutes but did manage to get a shot off but Naoufal Bannis’ shot was comfortably saved by Theo Louis.

The domination continues from the home side as they looked for the opening goal. A good run from Ibouro got him into a good position but his shot went over the crossbar before Yannis N’Gakoutouyapende fizzed a ball across the face of goal but there was noone close enough to tap it in.

The pressure did finally pay off and Monaco got their goal when Nordine Ibouro volleyed the ball into the top corner from the edge of the box. The goal was no more than Monaco deserved in the first half. Despite a couple of chances including a shot from distance from Kevin Appin that flew over the bar, the teams went into the break with Monaco leading 1-0.

Both teams tried to start quickly in the second half but neither team could hold onto possession for a lengthy period of time. The first chance of the half went to Feyenoord as Splinter De Mooij headed towards goal from a corner but it was comfortably saved by the keeper.

Despite the first chance going to the away side, Feyenoord were poor going forward and it was Monaco who were the stronger side. Nabil Alioui forced a good save from Tein Troost following a good run into the box before he put the ball past the keeper a couple of minutes later to give Monaco a 2-0 lead.

The second goal only gave Monaco confidence going forward. As they looked for a third, they were awarded a penalty in the 75th minute when a player was brought down in the area. Romain Faivre stepped up and converted the penalty to seal the game for AS Monaco.

As the game edged towards its end, Feyenoord began to get a foothold in the game and dominated the chances as they seeked a unlikely comeback. A couple of headers were sent over the bar and across the face of goal before a cross-shot was sent wide of the target.

With 4 minutes to go, Feyenoord grabbed a goal back when Toshio Lake lifted the ball over an on rushing keeper and into the back of the net. The goal gave Feyenoord some confidence and Monaco were put on the back foot but they couldn’t convert chances into goals. They had a penalty shout waved away before Sem Valk headed the ball just over the bar from a corner and Naoufal Bannis couldn’t latch onto a through ball.

Despite a shot from Romain Faivre in added time, the game ended with Monaco winning by three goals to one.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *