Match Report: Edgware Town 4-1 Tring Athletic

Tring Athletic bowed out of the FA Vase as they were defeated by Edgware Town. Goals from Rhys Shirley-Clarke, Omololu Onabolu, Adam Wallace and Ibrahim Nagheeb were enough for the hosts as they reached the First Round Proper.

The first opportunity came from Tring as Prince Nimoh saw his shot comfortably held by Frazer Siddall. Despite the visitors having the first chance of the game, Edgware settled into the match and began to have a few chances themselves. A free-kick from Daniel Pett was just over the bar before another free-kick was delivered into the box but it was punched well by the Tring keeper. The deadlock was broken in the 11th-minute as the hosts took the lead. Rhys Shirley-Clarke pounces on a loose ball in the box and slotted it past the keeper.

Edgware were close to a second a couple of minutes later when a corner was whipped in. The ball was flashed across the face of goal but eluded everyone as it begged a touch. The visitors created some chances for themselves as they sought an equaliser. Nimoh was lurking at the back post but Bradley Robinson managed to clear before Joe Chott’s low cross was dealt with and a shot from Nimoh was blocked on the edge of the box. Tring Athletic almost conceded from an error as a loose back-pass was being chased by Shirley-Clarke but Jonathan Pitts was out to clear.

The lead was doubled by Edgware in the 26th-minute as the Tring keeper spilled the ball on the goal-line which was tapped in by Omololu Onabolu. While it seemed like Tring would fall apart having gone 2-0 down, they pulled one back just 3-minutes later. Joe Chott fired a shot past the keeper to give the visitors some hope. The gaol had given Athletic confidence as they pushed for an equaliser. A driving shot from William Salmon from distance was fired wide before Gareth Terreblanche launched a free-kick into the box but it was flicked behind. The resulting corner was cleared as far as Terreblanche who tried driving towards goal but it was defended well. Despite an effort from Butler in added time when he fired a shot over from the edge, the teams went into the break with the Wares leading.

The second-half was barely warm when Edgware restored their two-goal advantage. Shirley-Clarke tried an acrobatic effort but the shot was touched home by Adam Wallace. Although they conceded, Tring piled on the pressure. A shot from the edge was fired just wide before a header from Joe Naylor was also just wide. A free-kick from Edgware was seen out by Tring before the visitors saw a free-kick well defended from the half-way line.

The hosts’ lead was increased as they had their fourth of the night. An overhead kick from Ibrahim Nagheeb looped over a defenders head and nestled into the bottom corner.

As the game approached the final 15-minutes, Tring upped the pressure as they looked for a miracle. A low cross from Butler was comfortably held by the keeper at the near post before Edgware’s Nagheeb was almost played through but Pitts was out well to clear his lines. The game became edgy towards the final 10-minutes with neither side having clear cut chances. A low shot from Tring from distance was dragged wide before they tried to mount another attack but the through ball was too heavy for Joe Chott.

Joe Chott has a good chance as he cut inside but he skied him shot from the edge of the box. A minute later, Onabolu was played through but he was denied by a good save from Jonathan Pitts before Hadi Issa had the opportunity to shoot from close range but too long and Tring cleared their lines. Despite being 4-1, Athletic pushed in the final minutes of the game. Butler was denied from the edge of the box as his free-kick was matched by the save of Siddall and a shot in added time, was dragged wide of the target.