Match Report: Newbury Forest 2-3 Frenford

A late goal from Luke Woodward gave Frenford a win as they travelled to Barkingside to take on Newbury Forest in what was an entertaining and fiery five-goal thriller.

It was the home side who got off to the best start when Andy Adomakoh had a shot within the first minute but it was send across the face of goal and just wide. Despite the early chance, it was Frenford who began to build the pressure but they couldn’t find the opening. A shot across the face of goal needed any touch to direct it into the goal before another shot was saved by the Newbury keeper.

The pressure paid off and the visitors were ahead after 10 minutes. Joe Villiers smashed the ball through the legs of a defender standing on the goal-line.

Although 1-0 down, the home side found a small foothold in the game but struggled to find the equaliser. The Frenford keeper made a good save before tipping another effort over the bar. It was Frenford who looked the most likely to score when they went forward and they did in the 34th minute. Ian Sawyer volleyed the ball into the net to give the visitors a 2-0 lead. Just before the goal, Newbury Forest had hit the inside of the crossbar and Frenford had a goal disallowed as the keeper was said to have been obstructed by a Frenford player. A couple of chances for the visitors came and went and the teams went into the break with the away side winning by 2 goals to nil.

It was Frenford who came out the quickest from the break and had a penalty shout within a couple of minutes. All shouts were waved away by the referee.

Neither side could really keep hold of the ball and there were chances for both sides but none were taken. A header from Frenford’s Alex Watson was caught comfortably by the keeper before a shot from Nathaniel Cole didn’t trouble the away keeper.

Just over 10 minutes into the second half, Newbury Forest had a goal back. They were denied at the first attempt but Tyrell Holder smashed home at the second attempt. A minute later, Frenford had another penalty shout when Harry Daly was brought down but again, it wasn’t given.

The goal certainly gave Newbury Forest confidence as they began to create better chances but Frenford were still dangerous on the break. The pressure from the home side paid off and they had their equaliser in the 66th minute when Kieran Hubbart was played through and lifted the ball over the keeper.

Cramp began to set in for the home players as Courtney Justin and Nathaniel Cole went down and the away side continued to look dangerous. Neither team could take their chances but the visitors were handed an advantage when Newbury’s captain Freddie Anderson was sin binned with 8 minutes to go. Newbury Forest had a penalty shout themselves with 2 minutes to go but the referee gave a free-kick the other way.

Frenford looked for the winner but Shane Wallace was denied by Brad Simpson as he turned and shot before Luke Woodward scored in the 92nd minute to win the game for the visitors.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *