Match Report – Redbridge 1-2 Barking – Essex Senior Cup

Goals from Junior Dadson and Eddie Allsopp gave Barking a win over Redbridge as the sides met in the Essex Senior Cup third round. Redbridge gave a good account of themselves against a good Barking side but it was the visitors who were more clinical in front of goal. 

Barking started off the quickest and they had a couple of attacks in the opening minutes. A ball was driven towards goal but sent just wide before the vsitors forced a good save from Florent Gislette. Redbridge had their first opportunity around the 10-minute mark but the ball was sent inches wide of the post.

As the half went on, both sides came close around the 30th minute but neither could find the back of the net. A shot from Redbridge inside the box was saved well before Barking came close when a ball was played across the face of goal but no one was close enough to tap it in. A minute later, Barking had broke the deadlock when Junior Allsopp headed the ball in.

Despite a chance 5 minutes later, the team went into the break with Barking leading.

The second half saw Barking start off the quickest and an early attack saw the ball out for a corner before the goalscorer Junior Allsopp saw a shot from the edge of the box fly over. Despite a quick start from the visitors, Redbridge made the most of an attack and had equaliser less than five minutes into the second half. A ball was played through before Taylor Tombides calmly slotted it past Montel Joseph with a neat finish.

Both sides had some good opportunities as the half went on but neither could find the back of the net. Barking’s Nana Boakye-Yiadom sent a shot just wide before Redbridge could only find the side netting from a tight angle. Redbridge came close to taking the lead when Taylor Tombides drove a low cross across the goal but Redbridge were inches away from tapping it in despite Barking having fired two shots over the bar a few minutes before.

Barking’s pressure paid off and they had their second of the night when Eddie Allsopp shot across the goalkeeper to nestle the ball in the bottom corner. Redbridge had an opportunity a minute later but fired a shot just over from distance. Barking found a period of dominance for around ten minutes of the game. A couple of chips forced a fingertips save and another good save while another shot came off the post. The visitors thought they had scored a third but it was ruled out for offside (a close call which looked wrong from the linesman perspective).

Despite a chance for Redbridge to equalise in the 90th minute, the game ended 2-1 to the visitors sending them through to the fourth round. Redbridge played well but were not clinical enough in front of goal while the performance from Barking probably deserved another goal.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *