No short of action in the Cordell Cup

The ‘Len Cordell Memorial Cup’ got underway this weekend as teams got back into competitive action for the first time since December. Here’s a round-up of all the weekend’s action and how each group looks after the results.

Group A

DTFC 2-2 Cockfosters

St Margaretsbury 1-1 Hoddesdon Town 

DTFC looked to have got their cup campaign off to a perfect start at home as they faced Cockfosters but were denied the 3-points as Fosters snatched a late draw. It was the Essex Senior League side who had taken the lead as Ned Clarke scored with 10-minutes left of the second half but the Essex Alliance League turned it around, taking a 2-1 lead and looking as if they’d beaten the side several levels above. That was until Marcus Crowther scored an equaliser in the 96th-minute to salvage a point for the visitors against the 10-men of DTFC. Elsewhere, St Margaretsbury and Hoddesdon Town also shared the spoils. The Lilywhites led at the Recreation at half-time before Dominic Wynter-Stephens equalised with just over 15-minutes to play.

The draws leave all sides on a point, making it a very open group after the first round of fixtures. Cockfosters sit top with DTFC, Hoddesdon Town and St Margaretsbury behind them respectively.


Group B

Woodford Town 3-4 Barkingside

Redbridge 1-0 Clapton 

Barkingside edged a 7-goal thriller as the Step-6 side beat ESL side Woodford Town down at Coles Park. Joe Gent and Reece Simpson had given Side’ an early 2-0 lead before Jack Gibbons scored another for the visitors despite Woodford having a reply for the opening two-goal cushion. The Eastern Counties League side extended their lead to 4-1 before the Woods scored a further two but it wasn’t enough as Side held on to the three points. In the other group B game, Redbridge edged the East London derby against Clapton.  The only goal of the game through Tony Martin in the 50th-minute and was enough for the three points. You can check out the full report below, courtesy of Pete Dudley (@Ped1980):

As it stands, Barkingside lead the group but are closely followed by Redbridge while Woodford sit ahead of Clapton with both sides still awaiting their first win of the competition.


Group C

Billericay Town Reserves 3-0 Holland FC

FC Clacton 2-1 Stansted 

Billericay Town Reserves overcome senior opposition as they beat Eastern Counties League side Holland at the New Lodge. Marlon Stratford had given the young side the lead before it was doubled Max Gnandi. The points were well and truly sealed as Nyan Mesuria scored the third. Down at the Austin Arena, FC Clacton continued their run of defeating ESL sides with a 2-1 victory over Stansted. Kevin Coyle scored from the spot and Jordan Lartey also scored to give the Seasiders the three points.

Billericay U23’s lead the group after they scored three without reply, sitting just ahead of FC Clacton who also won but have a smaller goal-difference. The Airportmen sit just ahead of Holland in the group with plenty still to play for.


Group D

Frenford 1-1 Barking

Hackney Wick 3-5 West Essex

Frenford drew with Isthmian League side Barking at the Drive. Isaac Westendorf had given the visitors the lead after 28-minutes but the win wasn’t to be as Owen James brought the hosts level in the 62nd-minute to grab a point. The competition had began the night before as West Essex visited their old stomping ground to face Hackney Wick. You can check out the match report from Pete Dudley (@Ped1980) below:

The win for West Essex put them top of the group comfortably, followed by Barking and Frenford respectively with Hackney Wick sitting bottom after their defeat.


Group E

Athletic Newham 1-1 Brimsdown

Great Wakering Rovers 1-4 White Ensign 

Athletic Newham and Brimsdown drew a stalemate at the Newham Leisure Centre in the clash of the Eastern Counties League sides while Isthmian League side Great Wakering Rovers were well beaten by lower-league side White Ensign. By the 64th-minute, White Ensign had taken a huge lead as a brace from Dominic Locke and a goal from Connor Barnby put them 3-0 ahead before the hosts pulled one back with 10-minutes to play through Jake Gordon but it wasn’t enough as Luke Skinner restored the cushion with 6-minutes to play for a huge win. The full report on the game can be read below, written by Scott W (@ScottMHC14):

The win puts White Ensign top of the group while Athletic Newham and Brimsdown sit sandwiched between them and Great Wakering Rovers, who are already playing catch-up at the bottom of Group E.