Report: Frenford 0-3 Hornchurch

Hornchurch began their pre-season with a win as they eased past Step 6 Frenford at the Drive. A dominate performance coupled with a trio of goals gave Mark Stimson and his men the best possible start to their season preparations, while the hosts could be pleased with their overall shift.

Right from the off, the Urchins showed their intent as Liam Nash fired a shot towards goal in the first 40-seconds, but the effort was comfortably held by the keeper. The visitors had settled far quicker than their hosts as within the first two-minutes, a shot was flashed across the face of goal, but ended up just wide of the far post.

The first purposeful attack of the evening for Frenford came in the 9th-minute as they attacked down the left-hand side, but the wingers pull back towards the penalty spot was cut out. Despite finding themselves on the back foot early on, the hosts put Hornchurch under some pressure, but the resulting shot was fired just over the bar. The Urchins continued to look to come forward, but were left frustrated as the hosts smothered their every attack and preventing their much higher opponents from having many clear cut chances. 

The hosts had a brief chance at goal as a free-kick was fired towards the far post, but a slight deflection took it inches wide of the target. Despite surviving a huge chance, the Urchins sought to break the deadlock. A shot from the edge of the box was fired over, before Nash was denied the opening goal. The Hornchurch forward looked to curl the ball into the back of the net, but the scrambling keeper got fingertips to the ball and managed to tip it around the post. A minute later, the deadlock was finally broken. A long range effort rattled the crossbar from Charlie Ruff, before Nash headed the rebound onto the crossbar and it was finally headed in by Charlie Stimson. 

The visitors had another good chance as a ball was flashed across the face of goal, but no one was close enough to tap home and an attack right at the end of the half was halted by the lineman’s flag. Down the other end, Frenford had a chance, but the effort was fired over the bar. 

The Urchins made a fast start to the second half as they sought to extend their lead. A shot from the edge of the box was fired inches wide of the post, before Nash did well to skip past a couple of defenders with a neat skill, but he ran out of pitch as he headed towards goal. The early pressure did pay off though, as Hornchurch doubled their lead in the 53rd-minute. A neat one-two between Lewwis Spencer and Chris Dickson saw the latter finish off a great move and slotting the ball beyond the Frenford keeper. 

The goal only boosted the visitors press as they continued to dominate possession and look to break down the home defence. A shot was flashed inches wide of the post before Liam Nash tried his luck from distance, but his effort was over the bar. Charlie Ruff almost scored the third as he rattled the ball against the post, before Dickson rifled an effort from distance over the bar. 

Frenford had a rare chance as the winger ran through on goal, but his effort was well saved by the keeper, who managed to hold on. A couple of minutes past before Hornchurch scored their third of the evening. Liam Nash collected the ball in the box, turned and fired his shot against the inside of the post, with the ball ending in the back of the net. 

As the game reached the final ten minutes, the hosts forced the Hornchurch keeper into a fantastic save from the edge of the box, but it was the visitors who wondered how they hadn’t score in the 85th-minute as Nash looked to be in on goal, but the Frenford keeper somehow managed to hold onto the ball. The final chance of the game saw Nash with yet another chance as he looked for his second, but his effort was into the side-netting.