Report: Toby FC Reserves 1-3 Coggeshall United Reserves

Toby FC Reserves pre-season continued as they faced a defeat against Coggeshall United Reserves, a side two-levels above them. While both sides battled well, a couple of errors allowed the visitors in on goal and in for the win.

Right from the off, Coggeshall Reserves were on top. Within the first 29-seconds, a shot was fired just over the bar. The early pressure continued and the visiting forward looked to lift the ball over the keeper, but his shot was just over the bar, before the Weavers were awarded an indirect free-kick for a questionable back pass, but their effort was blocked.

After settling down, Toby looked to come forward themselves as the ball was fed out to the right-hand side, but the ball was seen out by the away side. Coggeshall remained the most likely to score, but the host’s defended well to keep the scores level.

After the first half drinks break, the hosts found a foothold in the game as they sought to break the deadlock. A ball was swung in towards the back post, but the ball was over the head of everyone, before a low cross was flashed across the face of goal towards the far post. but it somehow made its way through without anyone tapping home. Coggeshall United Reserves looked to get on the front foot as the game approached half-time. A corner was swung in by the visitors, but a push saw the referee award a free-kick instead before the away side picked up the ball in midfield and looked to break the deadlock, but the keeper had other ideas and pulled off a superb save.

The Weavers looked to make another fast start as the forward tried to round the keeper, but he overran the ball, and it was out of play. Despite almost getting caught short in the first minute of the second period, the hosts applied good pressure, with the ball aimed towards the back post, but it was well defended.

Coggeshall wondered how they hadn’t scored as a series of shots were either blocked or partially cleared, but still the visitors couldn’t find the right pass to unlock the Toby defence. That was until 5-minutes later, the visitors took the lead. A ball was played across the box and tapped home. The break in play brought the perfect time for the drinks’ break, before the hosts looked to respond to going a goal down.

Minutes after the restart, Toby had found their leveller. The ball was crossed to Ben Britton, who headed beyond the keeper. After consultation with the Weavers’ player running the line, who had flagged for offside, the goal was awarded. The goal had certainly given the hosts confidence as they looked to take the lead. It was almost a quick one-two as the ball was crossed, but the cross was over everyone, before a cross was fired in by Britton, but it was caught well by the keeper, who was under pressure.

Into the last 10-minutes and it was Coggeshall who found themselves on top as they took the lead with 8-minutes to play. The Weavers forward was allowed to drift in behind and tapped home. A minute or so later, Toby looked to get back on level terms as Britton had a shot at goal, but his effort was comfortably held by the keeper. Instead, the visitors got their third with 5-minutes to play. The hosts were unable to clear their lines and Coggeshall were able to profit.

The hosts were unable to bring the ball forward, but Coggeshall almost had a fourth, but a cross was floated just out of play.