Report: Wembley 3-1 Cockfosters

Cockfosters were defeated in their penultimate pre-season fixture as they were defeated by Wembley at Vale Farm, in a game that saw a red-card in each half and a bizarre final 10-minutes with four goals.

Both sides looked to come forward in the opening minutes. but neither could take their chances. Cockfosters saw an effort go just wide, before faint shouts for a penalty were ignored by the referee, while Wembley also saw a shot go just wide.

The hosts dominated possession as they looked to break the deadlock. A cross was swung in from the Lions, but the header that followed was just over before the hosts tried their luck from the edge of the box, but the shot was deflected wide and the resulting corner was cleared by the visitors. Fosters had a corner swung in themselves with the set-piece recycled at the back-post, but it was cleared.

The visitors had another good chance as the forward was denied by point-blank range, before the keeper was forced to tip the ball over the bar with nothing coming from the resulting corner. Still, it was Wembley who were getting closer to hitting the target and looked most like scoring. A shot from just inside the box was fired wide, before a ball was played across the face of goal, but it was too heavy for the forward running towards the far post and another shot was fired wide.

With 10-minutes to play in the first half, Wembley saw themselves reduced to 10-men as an off the ball incident saw one of their most dangerous players given his marching orders. Despite having a man less, the hosts continued to come forward. A shot from the edge of the box was comfortably held by the keeper, before a ball was squared across the face of goal, but it was cleared before it could reach it’s target. Cockfosters had a chance right at the end of the first half as a ball was aimed towards the top corner, but the keeper had other ideas and denied the away side.

The visitors were on top in the early stages of the second period, but they weren’t able to break the deadlock. The ball was crossed towards the back post and headed back into the middle, but the kick was miscued and the chance was gone. Huge shouts for a penalty for the hosts were ignored by the referee, with Cockfosters continuing to dominate as they sought the opening goal. A free-kick was swung in, but headed behind for corner, with the resulting set-piece well cleared before the right-back looked to square the ball, but it was just behind the on-rushing forwards.

Cockfosters lost their man-advantage in the 68th-minute as the left-back was dismissed for denying a goal-scoring opportunity. The resulting free-kick for Wembley was straight at the wall, before it was recycled, but the shot was inches wide. As the game reached the final 15-minutes, it looked as if the game was heading for a stalemate as the Fosters keeper pulled off a superb save to deny the hosts before the visitors looked to score from a cross, but the resulting header was just wide.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 81st-minute as Wembley took the lead. Jermaine Heron fired in what looked to be a cross, but the ball found its way into the far corner. Both sides continued to come forward, but there was little chance before the lead for Wembley was doubled 6-minutes later as Sam Adetiba made a superb run past several players, before slotting well beyond the keeper.

The game wasn’t finished there as Cockfosters pulled one back in the 90th-minute. The visitors had been awarded a free-kick and while the hosts set-up their wall, it was fired into the goal. Despite the players protests, the referee awarded the goal. Right from the restart, Wembley restored their two-goal lead as Adetiba got his second of the afternoon. He lifted the ball over the stranded keeper, to put them 3-1 ahead.

With what was almost the last kick of the game, Cockfosters almost had their second as they tried to lob the keeper from the restart, but the half-way line effort was off the top of the crossbar.