Walthamstow FC: On The Edge of Promotion – December

After facing their first defeats in the league and being eliminated from the FA Vase, Walthamstow faced a tough December. They faced three league games as well as another cup game!

December 3rd, 2019: Walthamstow welcomed Hoddesdon Town to Wadham Lodge to begin their December. They proved to be tough opponents as the breakthrough came in the 51st minute when Isaac Marfo-Jacobs scored a superb free-kick to put the visitors ahead. Walthamstow piled on the pressure and pulled one back in the 82nd minute when Lewis Francis scored. Just as it looked like it would end in a draw, Benji Crilley had a couple of swings at the ball before he fired it into the roof of the net in the 89th minute to win it for the Stags.

December 7th, 2019: It was another tough game for Walthamstow as they travelled to Mayesbrook Park to take on West Essex. Walthamstow once again took the lead through Dwade James in the 2nd minute before Callum Ibe added on in the 10th minute. Stow then found themselves 3-0 up and looking comfortable as Dwade James got his second. West Essex had other idea and pulled a couple of goals back, Jamie Bennett scoring an own goal in the 76th minute before Bloss scored in the 81st minute. Lewis Francis had scored the Stags fourth minutes before to ensure the comeback wasn’t on.

December 14th, 2019: Walthamstow travelled to Mile End as they took on Sporting Bengal for the first time in the league. Stow had beaten them 5-0 in the FA Cup but this was always going to be tougher. Two goals from Dwade James in the 4th and 16th minute secured another vital three points for Walthamstow (Although there was a lot of debate about whether Dwade or Benji scored but we’ll take Dwade’s word for it!)

December 28th, 2019: The last game of 2019 saw Walthamstow travel to Dagenham as they took on Redbridge Reserves in the Peter Butcher Memorial Trophy. Although a side in the Essex Senior League Reserve Division, they were tough opponents physically but it was a comfortable 5-0 win for Walthamstow. Player-manager Ryan Maxwell opened the scoring in the 6th minute before a couple of goals in quick succession put Walthamstow 3-0 up with goals from Stanley Muguo and Lewis Francis. The game was over by half-time as Dwade James notched two for himself by the 30th minute to give Walthamstow a comfortable pass through to the next round against Harlow Town Reserves.

Photos: Andrzej Perkins (@tweetperkins)