Walthamstow FC: On The Edge of Promotion – January

After progressing in the Peter Butcher Memorial trophy and facing tough opponents in the league, Walthamstow faced as tough January as they travelled away from home.

January 4th, 2020: The first game back after the winter break saw Walthamstow host Clapton at home. A tough game that saw Walthamstow come out 2-1 winners. Danny McCullock opened the scoring in the 16th minute before Dwade James doubled the Stags lead in the 23rd minute. Clapton pulled on back in the 78th minute when Jaydon Charles scores but it wasn’t enough to steal a point.

January 11th, 2020: Walthamstow travelled to Hoddesdon Town in the next game as they looked to beat another difficult team. Stow ran out 2-0 winners but it wasn’t easy. Samrai Gebrai opened up the scoring just before half-time before Lewis Francis added an second in 84th minute to seal the win!

January 22nd, 2020: For the second time in a month, Stow faced Clapton but this time in Southend (where they ground-share with Southend Manor). The game was as plain sailing as the home one almost proved to be as Walthamstow came back from 2-0 down to win 6-2. Nana Yiadom broke the deadlock for the hosts in the 12th minute before Clapton’s lead was doubled a minute later when Mohamed Mahmoud. Despite being 2-0 down, Walthamstow pushed on. Jamie Bennett pulled one back just before half-time in the 45th before the second-half was won by Stow. Two goals from Dwade James put them 3-2 ahead scored in the 65th and 71st minute. Samrai Gebrai doubled Stow’s lead over Clapton with a goal in the 86th minute before Callum Ibe scored just 3 minutes later. The points were seal in style when Samrai Gebrai got his second in the 98th minute.

January 29th, 2020: A midweek trip to Cricklefields was on the cards for Walthamstow as they faced a tough Ilford side away from home. Jordan Fisher drew first blood when he opened the scoring in the 21st minute. Goals from Lewis Francis either side of half-time put Walthamstow ahead, one being a delightful free-kick, in the 34th and 53rd minute. A lapse in concentration from a corner saw Foday Jaiteh’s set-piece bounce into the net to get Ilford a leveller. Despite both sides best effort, the game finished 2-2.

Photos: Andrzej Perkins (@tweetperkins)